ME

ME

Monday, August 15, 2011

Things change but yet stay the same...



Roomates with the Little Men in our lives


This past weekend I took my little man on a road trip to see my Sorority Sisters in Orlando.  As I was driving the long trek up the Turnpike and Jamming out to “The Best of Kidz Bop” – yes there is a Best of Edition- I got to reminiscing.
My mind wandered off to the days of road trips to Key West, cheap tequila, staying out to sunrise and scarfing down McDonald’s everyday because we could and we wouldn’t gain a pound.  To visiting each other in our first apartments, so proud of the fabulous furniture we found at Goodwill and something on clearance at IKEA.  We knew all of the best 2 for 1 happy hours in our neighborhoods because that was all we could afford.  And if we really liked the guy we were dating, when friends came to visit we would make the new man take us all out on the town. 
 We got together for weddings and wore the requisite bridesmaid dresses, smiled through the bridesmaid teas, pedicures, and pictures.  We paid for each other’s shots on our bachelorette parties, kept secrets about each other’s new husbands, and promised each other married life would be fantastic.  As we started having babies, we rallied again for the baby showers and family get together; we upgraded our drinks to champagne and sparkling wines for our preggo friends.  We started exchanging recipes and talked about shopping for houses. 
As I’m exiting off the I-4 with my little man in the back seat talking to be about Shamu and Sea World. I welcome myself back to reality.  
I am dropping him off with some of the most important people in my life. My roommate married a great guy and they have a terrific family.  Her husband is the kind of guy that when I roll into town, hand over my little man and run out the door with his wife; he understands just how important our time together is.  No, we are not going to hop in a car and head to Key West.  We are racing out the door to visit with another sorority sister.  We look forward to these days for months.  There were days when we all lived in our house, took our time together for granted, spent our meals talking about classes, boys, books, and TV shows.  But now we are far apart and our time together is limited by bed time and a babysitter. 
Tonight as we try new microbrews things are still the same.  We still laugh and cause a scene at the restaurant, we still buy the happy hour specials, we still talk about classes, boys and books.  However, we are discussing Kindergarten, what level reader our kids are on, how much TV is ok for a 5 year old.  And of course we talk about the Happy Meal toys at McDonald’s.

Key West 2000

AXO 75th Reunion

Sisters and a few legacies...We have known each other since 1997!

3 comments:

  1. Love you, Dizzy D! :) Thanks for bringing a tear to my eye this morning. Happy tears of course!! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it Dana you made me cry AND feel worse that I didn't get to make it to the happy hour with you lovely ladies, stupid late meetings at work. Next time for sure! LITB Leah

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.