ME

ME

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lists

Lists,
I like to make lists - lists of things to do, list of things to shop for, lists of bills to be paid.  Some may say I’m a bit too into lists, but hey! I have friends who make lists of their lists, so as long as I stick to one list per day I think I am ok.
This whole writing idea started with a list (that and a shower, but more about that later). I woke up one day (in the proverbialy sense, I think I was awake for a few hours) when a thought hit me.  Here I was, 33 days away from my 33rd birthday and I really can’t tell you anything that was exciting or exceptional during my 32nd year.  Sure, some years were monumental, like graduating college and getting my first apartment, first job and first real boyfriend – shout out to 2000!  Other years were memorable like the birth of my son, the death of a loved one, or a fun girls weekend away.  But I spent all of being 32 doing absolutely nothing.  Really – nothing.  I lost my job a month before 32, lost my house two months into 32, lost my car a few weeks after that, moved home with my parents, looked for work, had some consulting jobs, fought to get paid by said jobs, put money into a broken car, put money into my son’s past times, found more consulting jobs, one road trip to middle of nowhere Ohio, one quick race in the middle of nowhere Florida, a good tan, ten pounds lighter and here I sit… 33 days until I’m 33 and making a list as to how to hurry up and change my 32nd year before I enter my 33rd year.
I started my list thinking I would make 33 changes before I turned 33, but let’s be honest change is hard and if I didn’t do something for the last 32 years, why would I hurry up and do it in 33 days?  I surveyed friends and got suggestions like – run 33 miles, go on 33 dates, lose 33 pounds, try 33 new foods.  I thought about making small changes each day, so on day 1 I got bangs, but day 1.5 I hated the bangs and am now researching 33 new wigs to fix the mistake.  Day 2 I decided was going to be the start of a serious exercise routine, until I went to the Dr. for a ‘routine procedure’ and he tells me no running or lifting for a week – Day 2 goal cancelled and now I need a Day 2 and Day 3 goal. 
Enter day 3 and my shower.  I often find I do my best thinking in the shower. There is just something about the shampoo that wakens up my brain cells and starts my mind thinking.  I’ve been growing my hair out for about 2 years or so now (number 26 on my to-do list to change my life).  I wonder how I got through my day when my hair was in a cute pixie cut circa 2002.  I mean those showers were speedy, just wash with a little baby shampoo and I was outta there!  To think, maybe I could have gone on to graduate school or law school? Maybe I would have invented something or made a huge discovery?  Oh well, I digress, back to my shampoo on Day 3.   Ever since I can remember my friends have told me to write a book. Actually, my co-workers used to tell me to go on The Real World (you know the MTV Reality show before Reality TV).  My dear friend Eli insisted that I should have a tv camera following me around since according to him my life was a sitcom.  Fast forward a few years and I get stranded in Baton Rouge – ok, not “Stranded” but seriously, BATON ROUGE!?!  Well, I was pregnant and stuck so I created a website and wrote about my journeys.  This is how one communicated with friends prior to facebook, blogging, texting. I was hip and oh so cool with my website.  Anyway, again, people said “write a book”.  Nah, I’m way too busy and way too cool to write a book, blog, tweet.   Fast forward a few more years, survive a divorce, enter the world of singlemomdom, start dating, move in with parents, work, quit work, get fired from work, make friends, lose friends, and this entire time my friends keep saying “write a book.”   Back to being in the shower, scrubbing the suds into my hair (Lauren my hairdresser will be so mad when she reads this – according to her I am only to wash my hair twice a week, but I think that is just plain nasty and I scrub a dub often),  alas the thought hits me!  My 33rd challenge for my 33rd year is to write a book.  To sit down and put the crazy thoughts that pop into my head and out of my mouth onto paper. And for those of you who know me, my thoughts sometimes tend to spend a wee little bit of time in my head before they just go POP out of my mouth. (more about that later)

To hold myself accountable to my 33day challenge I spread the word to my most favorite supporters. I am tapping them for their support, insight and reminders of the funny shit that I have said and tend to forget.  See above comment, thoughts just run right out and tend not to hang on in my memory.
So, as I start this 33 day challenge, please support me.  (By support I mean tell me I’m fabulous, a perfect writer, you hang on my every word, I have you laughing out loud – but don’t use LOL because I hate it!)  For now I think I’ll start as a blog. Eventually maybe I’ll write a book or a column or nothing, maybe this will just be a little file that lives in the computer that made me happy for 33 days before I turned 33.
Rules of my book writing  (list #1)
1.    I would love to change names in here but really I am not that creative, so if I use your name its cause I love you. I’ll try to come up with a fun nickname or secret id for those stories that are just too embarrassing.  But when it comes to family it is really hard to substitute Fred Flinstone for my Dad and Wilma for my Mom, but Debbie does look good with big white pearls
2.   The stories and thoughts will be true and all mine
3    I might curse, I try not too, but sometimes a curse word is just the right word at the right time
4.  Things might get a little personal – just saying. Can’t say I want my mom and dad reading this but hey! If it’s a true story (cue MTV True Story Lyric here), then I might as well just share
5.   There probably won’t be any order to my posts.  Really, I thrive on order, but my brain just doesn’t work that way. So, if you want me to write “blog” about something, email me and let me know. I have a storage chest in my noggin about ideas for this thing and who knows what will pop up first?
6.   There will be a lot of lists

1 comment:

  1. 1. FINALLY!!
    2. You are hysterical. I really did LOL. :)
    2.5 I like the bangs.
    3. You are a great writer!!!
    4. I am slightly terrified at some of the stories you may share and not change the names. ;)
    5. This is going to be the MOST fuN.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.