ME

ME

Monday, September 12, 2011

Sister Wife

I am not a polygamist nor do I live in Utah, but I do have what I sometimes refer to as a sister wife.  She is the wife of my ex husband, also known as a step mom, step monster, and in some circles the ‘devil’. But in my world, I like my sister wife and I do everything I can to keep her happy. 
Some people think I’m crazy.  Why would anyone want to get along with their ex husband’s new wife?  I’ve heard all of the reasons about how she is the one he left me for, she is the one who caused trouble, she did this, and she did that.  Honestly – I don’t care. I don’t blame anyone else for the breakdown of my marriage – it was my fault, it was his fault, it’s over – move on.
And with that moving on attitude, I’ll explain why I like my sister wife.
For starters, she and I have more in common than anyone else on this planet.  Let’s face it – we both raise my son, we help with his homework, wash his clothes and clean up his boo boos. We both have to deal with the same crazy schedule my ex husband has, rotate our family holidays to accommodate our son’s schedule, share the same crazy mother in law/grandma, and we both slept with the same man.  We definitely have a lot in common.
Honestly, I think I scored in the sister wife department.  One thing might be small to you, but HUGE to a boy is she loves water parks and roller coasters. Me, I hate them.  She LOVES them and actually asks to take my kiddo on extra trips to Disney just to go on the giant crazy water slides. Small to you – HUGE to me. Check one for Sister Wife!
Two – she doesn’t work.   I often have the guilt of a working mom. Not so much with my sister wife around. When my son has a field trip and I can’t go because of a work meeting – she goes.  When he is home sick and I can’t stay home – she does.  When I have a date and can’t find a sitter – she kid sits.  Check two for sister wife!
Three - I never wanted my son to be an only child.  She and my ex have one daughter and will be having their second any day now.  I get the best of both worlds.  I don’t have to raise another child and he gets sisters – Check three for sister wife!
Four - she puts up with my ex husband and all of his crazy… Enough said – check four for sister wife!

I’m not going to say our relationship has been all roses and sunshine – it hasn’t. We’ve had our share of blow ups and arguments. But, at the end of the day we learned a few things.  First we both care about our little man and second, we both get mad at her husband equally!

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog post today. It is definitely a challenge when dealing with a "blended" family. Love your attitude and willingness to make it work, and I'm sure your son appreciates it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, i never thought of step moms as a sister wife, but its so true, everything you say...it puts life in perspective and how all blended families would benefit from reading this blog. Kudos to you for such a positive twist on a difficult situation

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.