ME

ME

Friday, September 9, 2011

Facebook friends...

I love Facebook. I admit it. I might actually be addicted to it.  I like checking in places, scanning friend’s photos, being nosey and reading people’s comments to each other.  Besides what else are you supposed to do when waiting at the doctor’s office? 
My phone was broken for an entire week and I went into FB (that’s Facebook speak) withdrawal.  I mean, how was I supposed to keep up with friends? See what their plans for the day were? Check and see who is “liking” what and follow what links they clicked on?  I tell you it was a long week.
Previously, I had found myself falling into the FB trap.  You know, being in a conversation with someone and bringing up a fact that they didn’t actually share with you, but you ‘read’ about it online.  Like – “Hey, your vacation to Aruba must have been awesome! Love that red dress you have.” And they are just looking at you like you are a crazy stalker chick.   You can casually brush it off and say something like “well your photo popped up in my feed” or something smartly technical like that.  But really, it’s creepy and you need to come up with some fancy back peddling ASAP.
Another FB danger to worry about is getting too involved in FB land.  I find myself starting to worry about my FB friends.  (Those people you are FB friends with, but if FB didn’t exist you probably wouldn’t have actually remembered them)  All of a sudden my circle of friendship has blown up to 824 friends and 50 followers. That is a lot of worry for one chick.  Now I am curious as to how every kid’s first day of school is, what the results of friend’s Dr. visits are, how did everyone’s vacations turn out, and of course what did my 824 friends eat for dinner?!
Don’t get me wrong – I am one of those people who really does click on the links, read the posts and follow your recipes.  I told you, I’m addicted to FB, there are days when I don’t get out of bed until I check my FB Newsfeed.  I even adjusted my schedule, tried new places and shopped at new stores at the advice of my FB friends and their FB feeds.
However I need to draw the line at those ‘virtual’ world things – no Farmville for me, no sorority life, nothing that requires an avatar or login.  I find that FB land is virtual enough for me. I’m overwhelmed enough with interacting with my 824 friends, what would happen if I started a farm or became mayor of Starbucks – that is just too much to think about.
But, I do have a doctor’s appointment soon, if the wait is long I just may try farming….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.