ME

ME

Friday, September 23, 2011

Referral Rewards?

If you read my previous post “You are freezing my what?!” you will notice that I said I would talk about my conversation with my OBGYN about dating.  So, here it goes.
As he was doing the exam we start talking about dating.  “Yes” I say, “I’m single”.   “No” I say, “I’m not dating anyone”.  This is a typical conversation for me and I honestly don’t get upset about it.  The Doctor and I discuss how it is hard to meet someone since I work from home, have a son, the typical small talk about being single in south Florida. When all of a sudden he pokes his head up and says “I should introduce you to my brother!”   “Sure!” I agree and immediately think to myself – what is his referral of me going to be?  “Her hoo haw is in good shape?”  “Nice birthing thighs?”   No pressure there Doc….
I then think about some other times people have set me up on dates and what their referrals must have been. One that comes to mind is when my personal trainer called to tell me he has the perfect guy for me.  I suddenly become aware that our trainer/client relationship is built on me basically complaining during our 60 minutes together. I complain about being tired, the weights being too heavy, and the reps too much for me.  I also complain to him about past dates, past relationships, work and so on.  My trainer basically turned into my shrink – I figure I have his undivided attention for 60 minutes, might as well make the most of our time together!  So, as I gladly agree to meet this new catch out for drinks I’m really left wondering what his referral of me was.  “I have grandmas who can lift more than her, but she is kind of cute when she is doing sit ups?”  or “She doesn’t smell too bad after a mile or two of running?”
The one referral that tops all other referrals is when my ex husband called to tell me he found me a man.  Yes, he like my mom is hoping I find a wealthy man to take me away.  (His reasons are pretty selfish - I think he wants me off of his payroll).  Anyway, he called one day to tell me he found me the perfect guy.  I ask a few questions and find out this man is older and wealthy; a perfect match for me thinks the ex husband. I hesitated to agree to a date. I can’t help wondering what the referral is in this case.  “She’s good in bed, but can’t cook for anything” or maybe it was “I couldn’t stand her but you’ll love her?!”
And thus I continue to be very hesitant about my referral sources.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.