ME

ME

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The one way text message.

I’m all for modern technology, I try to embrace it.  I may not be as geeked out as some of my friends with their 5 home computers, I Pads, Apple TV and so on.  But, I do use my I phone and know how to text and take pictures with it.  Baby steps people, baby steps.
Lately I have realized that people have different standards for their manners with their use of text messages.  Let me explain.  I view text messaging sort of as a walkie-talkie like system.  You can send short bits of information, confirm that your intended recipient received it and move on.  It is kind of a genius way to avoid a long email or god-forbid a phone call!  It is quick, it is easy, it is efficient.   Where I get frustrated in the walkie- talkie system is the reply.
First of all, it has taken my parents a lot longer to embrace their technology.  Dad was an early convert to the smart phone and uses his I Pad, email and apps.   Mom has a blackberry that she doesn’t do anything with but talk on the phone.  One of my ever so patient friends spent some time with my mom and got her up and running with her camera and texting.  Only problem – she didn’t teach her how to reply.  So whenever you want to get a message to my parents, go ahead and text them.  Just don’t expect a reply back – they are One Way Texters.
With the exception of my parents, the one way text really bothers me.  (My parents get a pass because, hey, they are my parents and let’s face it you can’t expect a lot of changes at once.)
I understand that not everyone prefers the text message as their main means of communication, and I am completely happy to adjust to others’ needs.  But here is where I don’t get it - If someone sends you a text message stating a fact or asking a question, why not respond?  Yes, most of us are busy and don’t have access to our phones every moment of the day. But, eventually the little light flashes or the text box pops up on your screen.  How can you hit “hide” instead of “view”?    The text message is the quickest and easiest way to get in touch or avoid a serious conversation.  You can type “K” and that covers a lot of ground, or “thx”, “LOL”, “Cute”, “whtvr” and so on…  The unanswered text message just hanging out there all alone is like an SOS signal that receives no response, waiting for someone to hit reply and “LOL” right back at it.
The other one way texts I don’t quite get are the kind that is unanswerable.  My girlfriend got one at 5:00 a.m. the other day “Hey, can’t sleep and was thinking about you.”  Really dude?  5:00 a.m. is NOT an appropriate time to text.  For one, if my friend was sleeping you just woke her up.   If it is 5 a.m. and she is not sleeping, then she is too busy to reply anyway.  Please stay away from the early morning texting.
Dating in an age of text messaging leaves a lot of openings for a One Way Text.   (True Confession:  I really miss the days of no cell phones and no text messages!)   Those days were a lot easier, you didn’t have to worry about misinterpreting a text, autocorrect and all the other crud that goes along with conversing via text messaging.  If a guy was going to pick you up, he’d park the car and ring your doorbell.  These days you get a text that your date is in the drive way.    Instead of a call the day after a date, you may get a text message ‘thinking of you’ or ‘I had fun’.   For all of the good technology has done it has also limited the amount of quality communication between two people. 
I’m not going to lie – it’s my blog and I try to be as honest as possible.  I’ve had my share of bad dates that didn’t get the hint and sent texts after.  I didn’t reply.  I know I’m a chicken and avoided being honest with the person sending the text, but really, I’m embracing modern technology here and joining the bandwagon of One Way Texters.
As I said in the beginning, I am all for new technology.  However, I would like to instill some manners on my fellow texters.  Please hit reply, you can simply say 10/4 Over and Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.