ME

ME

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wanted: Proper understanding of the English Language


“I can’t fall in love with someone who has bad grammar!”  one of my friends states over lunch.  This may sound a bit off the wall to some, but for me, I completely understand.  I never realized how little personality quirks and traits can really just turn someone off (or on) when you are dating. 

Being a current member of the “online dating world” I scan through tons of profiles each week with guys saying things like my mate (yep- “mate” so weird!?!) Anyway, guys list their must haves and can’t stands for their future mate and you read them thinking “hey! That’s me we can be a match!”    I’ve seen things like “must love going to the gym”, “Can’t be high maintenance”, “Must love dogs” –yep that one is a movie and a standard apparently.  “No drama please”  “Not into the club scene” or some of my favorites are “my mate must stay physically fit”  “must look like your picture” and one was “must not be afraid of snakes”

These descriptions drive me crazy.  Of course every woman is going to say she loves the gym! Of course we are going to say we are drama free! And of course we are going to say we aren’t afraid of snakes! (ok, I’ll only say that if you are really, really, really cute in your profile picture)  I wish there was a place to put things online that truly matter.  Something like “must not mind that I wake up looking a bit like a Fraggle”.  “Must be able to put up with my weird schedule and not complain about me working too much”  “Must understand that my shows take precedence over your shows on the DVR list”  “Must be able to interact with my family members without complaining about it”  “Must have an actual job and make real money, thus being able to pay your bills”  "Must understand the proper use of an exclamation point"  "Must be willing to use spell check prior to hitting send"

Of course many online daters create a profile as more of a wish list of Mr./Mrs. Perfect and then settle for a bit less than they requested.

I did however find one guy that might be a good match for my friend.  His honesty was a bit surprising…  He stated he was a high school teacher, loved dogs and did not date people who had bad grammar usage….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments! I really want to hear what you think.